Thursday, September 26, 2013

Project Run&Play #7 : 3rd week " Hand Smocking Plaid Dress"


The 3rd week of Project run&play go for the theme "Mad for Plaid"...

Talking about someone who MAD for plaid, let's check my fabrics IN MY STASH.
A little collection of plaid from my sewing corner
You can guess that I have no need to buy fabric for this week. My problem is to select the RIGHT ONE to work with. So, I let the girl chooses for herself and we got the plaid with pink one.

Plaid with her favorite color
I want to learn and do some technique which I've never done before. After looking through my mom's sewing book, I thought I will taking hand smocking on the dress. I used very plain but cute pattern from this Japanese sewing pattern book. The girl model is so lovely, look at those hair.

I flip this pattern to my hand smocking plaid dress
I used the top part of this dress but changed the skirt part by adding hand smocking detail and lengthen it a bit. Hand smocking took me an age to finished. I'm not a fan for hand sewing and this smocking took so much time that I thought I have to submit this dress on the next season. Luckily! it was done on time.

Hand smocking details, this technique called weaven basket smocking in mom's book.
The process was such a pain but the result was as a gain for me. I'm so happy with them that I even thought to learn others smocking technique in the near future.
The finish work was such a reward for me.
In case any of you want to know how to make this smocking please let me know. I will try to make a tutorial if someone interested (and have a lot of time to do so)

The dress has buttons closure along the back
As we don't normally have fall or winter here this dress can wear all around the year. I plan to pair it with cardi and legging if the weather colder.



At the moment, the girl did enjoy to wear this with rain boots to play out after raining.

This week on project run & play, you will found A LOT of incredible plaid outfits both from designer here and from sew-along pool here. Let's check them out.

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to hear from you!

P.S. My plaid collections are the Thai traditional handwoven plaid called "Pa-kao-ma" 

Pha-kao-ma is a basic stable piece in Thai's household. It is a multipurpose garment. Used as a towel, sarong, sash, carrying, wrapping and etc. in Thai culture from at least 900 years. 

My ex-project with hand-woven plaid
Pink plaid from Feb this year, before my blogging era/ The maxi plaid from The roller skate FLIP here.



20 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hand smocked a purse I made one time, I love the look yours gives with the plaid and on the top of the skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hand smocking! I'm so envy of you having so much plaid fabric... I now live in the US and I don't think the plaid fabric is so popular here :( And beautiful handworked plaid! Aren't they expensive?
    Aaaand I'm not finished my plaid outfit yet, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hand smocking is fantastic! Love your stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat concept!!! WE LOVE IT....and now want to try our hand at it as well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love what you do! And that smocking just adds something special Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done!
    All that hard work made a lovely dress!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really awesome - your time was worth it. Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your plaid stash. Some of those really jump out to me. You're daughter is always so adorable and of course I love your work too. The two plaid dresses you showed from earlier this year are so beautiful too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress and that smocking but also loved to read about your fabric at the end of your post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all the lovely comment. The sewing community is so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Your smocking is amazing and I love where you placed it...GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The smocking detailing is so perfect! I'd love to know how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would try to post a tutorial in the near future. :)

      Delete
  13. So adorable both dress, the girl and especially the dress-maker...

    for the one who interested in Thai plaid fabric (as called Pha-kao-ma) so far as I know, it's not so expensive, mostly cotton but some maybe silk (of course, not cheap for this one) and if you would like to google try copy this "ผ้าขาวม้า" and some shop has facebook account which can communicate in English...hope it's help...love from Thailand ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ขอบคุณค่ะ เป็นคนไทยคนแรกที่มาเจิม comment ให้เลย ^^ ปลื้มใจจัง

      Delete
  14. This is really beautiful ! The fabric is gorgeous and I love your smocking ! I want to try ! Oh if only I had more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad that you love our fabric. Hope you can give it a try for smocking. :)

      Delete
  15. Wow! That smocking is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. :)
      The series is so creative and I will looking forward to see what others will made from their roots.

      Delete